Thursday, February 23, 2023

Testing Day - the FTP reality check - Feb 23, 2023

 While age may only be a number to some folk's thinking, Functional Threshold Power (FTP*) numbers don't lie.  I really need to kick up my FTP numbers.

I have been diligently putting off doing a FTP test since they are; a) painful to do; b) get better when you test more frequently so I have been reluctant to get started because of (a); c) don't let you hide behind your Strava segments or peer cycling exploits.  FTP just tells you where you are at, even if you don't want to be there! 

Before the tests today, I looked back at some historical data and I had respectable FTP values for an old guy without a lot of talent.  Wow, do those numbers seem high compared to where I am today! 

In any event, I did the 30 minute FTP warmup protocol (see figure below) and then did a 20 minute version of the FTP test which everyone seems to use these days. A few years ago we did 30 minute FTP tests.....am glad I went for the 20 minute version!

I was surprised at how low my FTP was compared to what I guessed it might be based on riding.  In my head, I was about 228 Watts for the FTP but the test said I was actually about 210 Watts.  Ouch! That is a huge drop off. And compared to my earlier data from 6 years ago or so, I have really declined.

The good news is that I expect it will be easier to improve from such a low baseline!  I will be shooting for another test in about 6 weeks and we'll see where we are.  Until then, just keep spinning.           


                             

* FTP - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/learn/articles/what-is-threshold-power/   and https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071934-How-to-Calculate-Threshold-Power-Heart-Rate-or-Pace


No comments:

Post a Comment